Sunday, August 24, 2008

insurance for students

Auto Insurance for Students

Today’s student has a lot on his mind. Next week’s final, the big game, and the party scene are just some of the distractions facing our youth. Auto insurance is not a major concern for many students. The reasons for this can vary. Many young students are still covered on their parents’ policies, as they can be covered on these policies as long as the parents allow them to be. However, for all of the hard-working students that have to pay for their own auto insurance, there are a few key things to keep in mind.
Collision and Comprehensive Coverage for Students

If you have a new car or a newer used car, it is important to have full-coverage insurance for your vehicle. Full coverage means that you have collision and comprehensive coverage. Collision deductibles are the amount of money that you pay to the insurance company to fix your car in the event of an accident where you are at fault. These claims affect your future rates on insurance substantially. The comprehensive deductible is the amount of money you pay to the insurance company in the event that your vehicle was vandalized, involved in a hit and run, damaged in a hail storm, or even if you hit an animal in the road. These claims do not affect your future rates on insurance, as they are considered not to be the fault of the driver.
Minimum Coverage for Students

States vary in the minimum required bodily injury coverage—anywhere from 50/100/25 to 10/20/20. These numbers translate to the following: x thousands of dollars per person, x thousands of dollars per accident, and x thousands of dollars for property damage to others. Keep in mind that states have mandated minimums. In general, this is not enough coverage to ensure that all parties will be taken care of in the event of an accident.
Work with an Agent

Finally, when choosing your comprehensive and collision deductibles, ask your agent to compare different levels, and get feedback as to what they think you should do. Agents are professionals who do this kind of work for a living. They are trained and licensed, so they will help you to make the best decisions for your current situation. Also, when you upgrade your car, after you graduate, it is important to consider a different level of deductible. If you had an older car that was not worth much and carry liability only insurance for it, consider going with full coverage insurance for your new car.

No comments: